Fax: 408 201-6067
Fiscal Services Documents and Information
- Contact Information
- Year End Closing Deadlines
- Administrator Schedule
- ASB Accounting Information
- Budget Numbers
- Payroll Procedures
- Purchasing Policies
- Procedure For Returning Merchandise to Vendor
- Procedures for Petty Cash Funds
- Travel Expense and Mileage Claim Reimbursement
- Student Fees
- Budget Transfer and Expenditure Transfer Request Forms
- Purchase Order Procedure Flow Chart
- Personal Non-Travel Reimbursement
- ESS Registration Quick Guide
|Director Fiscal Services||Lisa Leeemail@example.com||408-201-6053||x51053|
|Supervisor Fiscal Services||TBD||408-201-6058||x51058|
|Payroll A-K||Abby Quesadafirstname.lastname@example.org||408-201-6062||x51062|
|Payroll L-Z||Kathleen Kopp-Santosemail@example.com||408-201-6053||x51063|
Centralized LCFF, Los Paseos,
Walsh, Britton, Central
Nordstrom, CTE Programs,
Sobrato, Paradise Valley
Community Adult Education
El Toro, Barrett,
Martin Murphy, Jackson,
Live Oak, Child Development,
After School Program, Migrant
Year End Closing Deadlines
|As we approach the end of the school year, there are several important cut-off dates that need to be adhered to in order to insure prompt and timely payments and expedite processing. Please click here to see the adjusted 2019-20 Year-end Closing Deadlines.|
|The Administrator Schedule is to be completed by all administrators prior to the start of the new school year. The cumulative total of days worked at the end of each month and the final total for June should be the same as the days of duty required for your position as indicated on the administrators salary schedule. We’ve linked an electronic copy of this form; please contact the Allison Murray at X51052 if you have any questions.|
ASB Accounting Information
|Procedures for Administrator Attendance and Classified Absence Reporting
All employees must turn in an Attendance Report (Administrator) or Absence Report (Classified) each month. All reports are to be signed (in blue ink) and the hours must be reviewed and approved by the Employee’s Principal/Supervisor. Reports may be delivered by either the Principal/Supervisor or Secretary on the date that they are due. All forms can be found at the district’s staff website.
· All staff must complete their absence reports via Frontline and complete all submissions by the last business day of the month.
Procedures for Payroll Time Sheet Submission
All time sheets are to be signed (in blue ink) and hours reviewed/approved by the Principal/Supervisor and delivered by either the Principal/Supervisor or Secretary by 12:00 P.M. on the date that they are due with correct budget number(s). The Payroll Department cannot pay on time sheets that are not original or photo-copied. All forms can be found at the district’s staff website under payroll.
Completed timesheets for substitutes and for extra and overtime hours of employees are due to the payroll department on the 18th of each month for payment on the 10th of the following month. Payroll cycle is from 16 - 15. If the 18th falls on the weekend or holiday it is due the prior day.
For assistance, please contact the Payroll Department
Katie Santos, Certificated Payroll (408) 201-6063
Abby Quesada, Classified Payroll (408) 201-6062
|Morgan Hill Unified School District provides its permanent employees with certain rights or privileges considered to be fringe benefits (sick leave, vacation, paid holidays, comp time, etc.) Temporary / substitute employees are not considered to be permanent employees. They are not in a collective bargaining unit and do not enjoy any of the contract rights granted to unit employees. Consequently, they are not eligible to receive what are considered to be district fringe benefits. Therefore, temporary / substitute employees are not paid a special premium for work performed on a holiday, Saturday or Sunday other than the overtime premium for work performed in excess of eight hours in a workday or 40 hours in a workweek.|
An efficient purchasing procedure calls for issuance of a purchase order for all purchases or contracts entered into by the district. A requisition, along with any necessary attachments, is submitted to Purchasing for approval and a Purchase Order is created. The only exceptions to issuing a purchase order would be mileage and a few acceptable reimbursements. We also have a policy regarding blanket purchase orders. Please click on the document to review our guidelines for blanket purchase orders: Purchase Order Policy
- If the vendor does not accept our district purchase order, the site/individual can (with appropriate approval) purchase the item and then submit a requisition to the Purchasing Department for reimbursement (Purchasing Department may verify the vendor’s policy regarding P.O.’s if necessary). Any attachments should be forwarded to the Purchasing Department along with the site/individuals requisition for processing. If reimbursement is submitted without receipt of purchase, payment will be withheld until proper documentation is received.
- Equipment with a unit cost of $.01 – $499.99 should be charged to object 4310 (supplies)
- Equipment with a unit cost of $500.00 – $19,999 should be charged to object 4400 (non-capitalized equipment)
- Equipment with a unit cost of $20,000 and more should be charged to object 6410 (equipment)
- Unit cost includes the cost of the item plus any associated cost, i.e., tax and shipping
Acceptable Direct Reimbursements
- Need to be less than $50.00
- Need approval of Principal or Supervisor
- Submit within seven days of purchase with appropriate receipts
Procedure For Returning Merchandise to Vendor
Please use the following steps when you need to return an order to a vendor. Please contact the Warehouse, 201-6365 or the Purchasing Agent, Dianne Dalton at 201-6056, with any questions.
- Call the Purchasing Agent as soon as you can so they can contact the vendor and arrange for pickup, payment or reimbursement.
- Fill out a “Merchandise Return Form” and send it to Purchasing. Please keep one copy for your records.
- Upon receipt of the form, our Buyer will contact the vendor and arrange for return of the merchandise.
- When arrangements are set, the Warehouse staff will make arrangements directly with you to pick up your unwanted merchandise and ship it back to the vendor.
- If the vendor shipped merchandise by mistake, they will pay the return shipping. If the school ordered the merchandise by mistake or ordered a duplicate order, they must pay for the return shipping.
- This same procedure applies to damaged merchandise.
Procedures for Petty Cash Funds
The purpose of a Petty Cash fund is to have cash available in the office of the principal or other administrative officer to be used for reimbursement of “emergency” expenses. Such charges include postage due or other unforeseen expenses. Emergency expenses are those that cannot be processed in the usual manner of creating a Purchase Order Requisition. Petty Cash is NOT to be used for purchasing food of any sort. Receipts with food items will not be reimbursed.Site or district funds may not be used for items purchased as incentives for staff or parent volunteers. They are also not to be used as a form of payment for anyone or any service. For example, gift cards are not to be purchased with site or district funds. This is considered a gift of public funds. If you are unsure about a future purchase, please contact the Business office.
- Fiscal Services Petty Cash Policy and Procedures
- Funds will be available in cash at one or more school sites as follows:
- $300.00 for Elementary sites
- $500.00 for Middle and High Schools
- The Principal or administrative official in whose name the fund is created will be responsible for all Petty Cash expenditures made.
- Funds may be used for purchases totaling fifty ($50.00) dollars or less per transaction. Incremental purchases will not be made for the purpose of circumventing this regulation.
- Each request for reimbursement will be coded and supported by a receipt, sales slip or some other evidence of the expenditure and attached to the Petty Cash Voucher.
- The documents and voucher will be forwarded to the business office where the expenditures will be audited, posted to the general ledger and a check issued to replenish the fund.
- The amount on deposit plus receipts of disbursement must always equal the original starting amount of the fund.
- Funds will be audited by the Business Office on a regular basis.
- Funds are subject to audit by the District’s auditor.
- In no case shall money be left overnight in schools except in a safe or secured place.
Travel Expense and Mileage Claim Reimbursement
The purpose of the Travel Reimbursement Claim Form is to assist employees in obtaining reimbursement for an approved trip, conference or meeting expense. The employee would prepare the request form for travel, conference and official meeting expense, prior to travel, for approval from site/Manager. Original receipts must be attached to the request. The site/department Manager will review and approve the request and attachments again after the travel is completed. The site will then send the original request with all receipts to the Accounts Payable Department; keeping a copy of the request and receipts. Accounts Payable will verify codes, audit for accuracy and process for payment. The submission deadline for reimbursement is 20 days after travel, conference or meeting with original receipts.Expenses qualifying for Travel Reimbursement Claim Form for conferences are as follows:Attendance may be approved without reimbursement, with partial reimbursement, or with full reimbursement up to the following limits:
- Round-trip travel, not to exceed economy airfare. Whenever possible and appropriate, the least expensive means of travel shall be utilized (district vehicle, personal vehicle, economy airfare)
- Transportation to and from a terminal to the meeting site or hotel
- The rental of compact car, if necessary and approved in advance
- Registration fees, exclusive of entertainment, personal calls, alcohol, tours and videos
- Reasonable lodging costs
- An allowance of up to $50.00 per day for meals, including tips. When the duration of travel is less than 24 hours and does not require overnight lodging, meals may be reimbursed up to $10.00 for breakfast, $15.00 for lunch and $25.00 for dinner. These amounts include tips.
All expenditures shall be documented by receipts except fares on streetcars, buses, bridge tolls, etc.
A few other items to note:
- Tips are now reimbursable as part of a meal expense (alcoholic beverages still are NOT) and shall not exceed 20% of the total bill.
- Reimbursements for registrations paid by personal check or credit card require one of the following proofs of payment; receipt from conference administration, front and back copy of cancelled check, or copy of credit card statement showing charge
- Also, mileage reimbursement for travel for district business shall be based on the current IRS allowance
Reimbursement for mileage, not pertaining to travel voucher mileage, needs to be submitted on a Mileage Claim Form.
School sites must remember that there are limited options when charging Student Fees, and legal guidelines are in place regarding items for which fees can be charged. Before assessing or charging a fee or deposit of any kind, the district must ensure that it is legal.
Budget Transfer and Expenditure Transfer Request Forms
The Business Department has developed two new forms – the Budget Transfer Request and Expenditure Transfer Request forms. Please contact your Accounting Specialist for any assistance when completing the forms. These forms are also available in our “forms” list.Instructions on completing a Budget Transfer Request Form1. Requestor will complete the following:
b. Name of preparer
c. Date2. Input the budget string and dollar amount you wish to transfer funds from. Please give a brief description for the purpose of the transfer.3. Input the budget string and dollar amount you wish the funds to be transfer to.
Note: The total dollar amounts in the “Transfer From” and “Transfer To” section must match.4. Input the current budget balance.5. Obtain a site or department administrator’s signature.6. Submit your completed form to the Business Department for processing.Instructions on completing an Expenditure Transfer Request Form1. Requestor will complete the following:
b. Name of preparer
c. Date2. Select the type of expenditure transfer you wish to have performed.3. Input the budget string and dollar amount you wish to transfer funds from. Please give a brief description for the purpose of the transfer.4. Input the budget string and dollar amount you wish the funds to be transfer to.
Note: The total dollar amounts in the “Transfer From” and “Transfer To” section must match.5. Obtain a site or department administrator’s signature.6. Submit your completed form to the Business Department for processing.
Purchase Order Procedure Flow Chart
Personal Non-Travel Reimbursement
Whenever possible, procurement of District related goods and services should be made by using the Purchase Order system. However, there are occasions when materials are needed immediately or on a time-sensitive basis.These expenses can be originally paid out-of-pocket by the employee and then reimbursed by the district. A Personal Non-Travel Reimbursement Claim Form should be submitted to request a reimbursement for the purchase.1. All purchases must be pre-approved by your budget administrator/supervisor. Failure to secure a pre-approval for your purchase may result in a denial of your reimbursement.
2. All reimbursable purchases must have a detailed original receipt that does not include any personal purchases.
3. All non-travel reimbursement requests must be submitted within 20 days of the purchase. If you are purchasing frequently throughout the month. The reimbursement should be submitted within 20 days of the last day of the month.
4. All non-travel reimbursement requests and receipts must be signed off as “OK to Pay” by the budget administrator.Non-Travel Reimbursement Claim Form Instructions General Information
1. Enter Employee Information
a. Name, Address, City, State, Zip
2. Enter the Budget Account Number(s)3. Enter the Purchase Order number associated with the purchase. (if applicable)Individual Line Entry
1. Enter the date of the purchase
2. Enter the Name of the Vendor associated with the purchase
3. List the Items purchased
4. Enter the Purpose of the Expense
5. Enter the Amount paid for the purchase.